Monday, October 8, 2007

Shalom,

Today I want to talk a little more about meditation. We saw yesterday that Joshua was instructed by God to meditate on His Word day and night. I want to share some other Scriptures that talk about meditation:

Josh 1:88
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.(KJV)

Ps 1:1-3
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.(KJV)


Ps 63:5-65
My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.(KJV)

Ps 77:11-1311
I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.12 I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.13 Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?(KJV)

In all of these examples the word meditate is the Hebrew word:

hagah (daw-gaw');
a primitive root, to murmur (in pleasure or anger); to ponder:
KJV-- imagine, meditate, mourn, mutter, roar, speak, study, talk, utter.
It also means: to moan, to growl, to utter, to muse, to devise, speak, to imagine

These Scriptures also talk about meditating:

Ps 119:1515
I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.(KJV)

Ps 119:2323

Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.(KJV)

Ps 119:4848

My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.(KJV)

Ps 119:7878

Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.(KJV)

Ps 119:148148

Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word.(KJV)

In all of these references, the word meditate is the Hebrew word:

siyach (see'-akh);
a primitive root; to ponder, i.e. converse (with oneself, and hence, aloud) or utter: KJV-- commune, declare, meditate, muse, pray, speak, talk (with).
It also means: to put forth, to ponder, to sing, to study, to ponder, to talk, to sing, to put forth thoughts

In all of these references we see that there is so much more to our study of God's Word than just reading. I have read through the Bible myself more than 20 times and some books of the Bible hundreds of times. But reading and memorizing is not what will change us or renew our souls. It is the continual meditation, the thinking about, pondering, imagining, speaking to ourselves and others, allowing the Holy Spirit Who is our Teacher to paint those pictures for us of what the Word is actually saying that will change our thinking and cause the Word of God to come alive to us. That is what will cause faith to rise in our hearts! When God's Word becomes real to us, it will not be hard to separate the Truth from the lies of the world!

Begin to really study what you read in the Word, after asking the Holy Spirit to teach you, and you will be amazed at how logical the Word will become. You will wonder why everyone doesn't see it as clear! That's when this life in the Spirit becomes full and fun and productive!

Until tomorrow, have a great day in the Word! I can't think of a better place to spend my time!

Shalom in Him!