Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Shalom,

Following on in Paul's prayer in Philippians chapter 3, we see that while Paul had made knowing the Lord his most important goal, he had not accomplished all he wanted to in that area yet. In verse 12 we read:

Philippians 3:12-14 (Amplified)
12Not that I have now attained [this ideal], or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own.
13I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
14I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward.


Paul understood something here that we as believers need to really grasp. We will never really "arrive" at spiritual maturity. We will never , in this life, know all there is to know about Jesus and His Word. We just get closer every day when we, like Paul, make it our determined purpose to do so! The next two verses are key for us:

Philippians 3:15-16 (Amplified)
15So let those [of us] who are spiritually mature and full-grown have this mind and hold these convictions; and if in any respect you have a different attitude of mind, God will make that clear to you also.
16Only let us hold true to what we have already attained and walk and order our lives by that.


We are to walk in the light we have. We are to obey the Word we know. At the same time, we are to press on to know more! We are to pursue knowing Him more every day. Then we have this promise:

1 John 3:2 (Amplified)
2Beloved, we are [even here and] now God's children; it is not yet disclosed (made clear) what we shall be [hereafter], but we know that when He comes and is manifested, we shall [as God's children] resemble and be like Him, for we shall see Him just as He [really] is.

Hallelujah! What a glorious and blessed life He has given us to live! Make the most of it, every day!

Shalom in Him