Friday, April 29, 2011

Shalom,


Here we are in Psalm 119 again! Do you remember that every verse of this Psalm refers to the Word of God? I also learned that this from the Bible Expository Dictionary: Old Testament:


The psalm is an acrostic with eight lines in each section, and the successive sections follow the letters of the Hebrew alphabet. Each of the eight lines of 1-8 begins with the Hebrew letter aleph, the lines in 9-16 begin with beth, in 17-24 with gimel, and so on. There are 22 sections of 8 lines each and 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet! Our God is SO organized! I LOVE it!


We have covered some of my favorite verses before, but now I have some different favorites! They are verses 4-6, 14, 16-17, 27, 42, 44-45, and 72:


4 You have commanded us to keep Your precepts, that we should observe them diligently. 5 Oh, that my ways were directed and established to observe Your statutes [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying them]! 6 Then shall I not be out to shame [by failing to inherit Your promises] when I have respect to all Your commandments.


Notice that "observing" His Word means: hearing, seeing, loving, and OBEYING! AMEN!


14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies as much as in all riches.


WHEN we rejoice in His Word more than riches and "stuff", we will find ourselves receiving Wisdom AND "stuff", just like Solomon! So let's be wise with it!


16 I will delight myself in your statutes; I will not forget Your Word. 17 Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live; and I will observe Your Word [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it].


There's that "observing" again! That is also how we "delight" in His Word!


27 Make me understand the way of Your precepts; so shall I meditate on and talk of Your wondrous works.


He LOVES when we DESIRE to know and understand His Word!

42 Then shall I have an answer for those who taunt and reproach me, for I lean on, rely on, and trust in Your Word.

THAT is how Jesus left them speechless when they attacked Him!


44 I will keep Your law continually, forever and ever [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it]. 45 And I will walk at liberty and at ease, for I have sought and inquired for [and desperately required] Your precepts.


Are YOU walking at liberty and at ease? Gauge how You are "keeping" His Word!


72 The law from Your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces.


Our #1 priority MUST BE the One, True God, AND His Word! AMEN! Here is Hillsong's "Like Incense". See if you can figure out why we would use THIS song!



In 1 Corinthians 7 Paul is speaking of marriage and he shares some ideas to consider when you are thinking of marriage. Whatever YOU may decide to do, remember to keep verse 23 foremost in your mind and heart:


23 You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for by Christ]; then do not yield yourselves up to become [in your own estimation] slaves to men [but consider yourselves slaves to Christ].


What does it mean to be a "slave to Christ"? It means that what he says goes in your life, no matter WHO may like it or not! Settle that with any potential spouse BEFORE the vows, and make sure you choose someone who will do the same! 


Some of the problems that the nation of Israel has had over the years can be traced back to something that may SEEM like a small thing, but caused many, many problems over the years! Joshua 9:14-15:


14 So the [Israelite] men partook of their food and did not consult the LORD. 15 Joshua made peace with them, covenanting with them to let them live, and the assembly's leaders swore to them.


Do you think that Moses would have made a covenant with people from another nation without consulting the LORD? What was Joshua thinking? God had already told them and Moses had reminded them what they were to do when they went over to possess the land! One little disobedience can open a whole world of trouble! Doing things God's way is ALWAYS for OUR protection, provision and safety! ALWAYS!


Shalom in Him!