Saturday, January 23, 2010

Shalom,

I want to look at Psalm 23 today. I have always loved this Psalm and it is part of my daily confessions of who I am "IN HIM". I will mostly be sharing MY take on it and hope that you will gain some insight from that! We'll go verse by verse:

1THE LORD is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack.

That's what a shepherd does! Having grown up on a sheep farm, I am familiar with all of the care that sheep require. We had to provide food and water, we had to lead them to where the food was, we had to protect them from outside predators as well as sickness and disease. My confession of this verse is: "You Lord are my Shepherd and I DO NOT lack any good or beneficial thing". Verse 2:

2He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.

My take on the fresh, tender, green pastures is that He has always led me to where I could find His Word being taught! I feed on the Word of God like the sheep feed on pasture land! I believe the still and restful waters refer to the Holy Spirit and His ministry in my life. He IS my Helper, my Comforter, my Counselor, my Intercessor, my Advocate, my Strengthener, my Standby, my Leader, Teacher and Guide (John 16:7)! My confession: "You make me lie down in fresh, tender, green pastures where I feed on Your Word. You lead me to those still and restful, Living waters of Your Spirit". Verse 3:

3He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake.

He refreshes and restores my life, by the Holy Spirit within me! This refreshing and restoration comes from feeding daily on the Word of God and being filled continually with His Spirit. He ALWAYS leads me in righteousness! He shows me how to operate as a righteous person, one who has right standing with God because of the precious blood of Jesus of Nazareth! My words: "You refresh and restore my life, my self, my soul. You lead me in paths of righteousness, uprightness and right standing with You - NOT for my earning it, but for Your Name's sake! (Because of Who You are!)". Verse 4:

4Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me.

The deep, sunless valley of the shadow of death is our life on this earth! The curse is operating in the earth and I need to know how to walk above it where I am NOT subject TO it! It is His Word and His Spirit that lead, guide and direct me, teach and correct me, that bring me to the place of maturity where I can absolutely fear NO evil thing! My words here are the same as the Amplified! Verse 5:

5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my [brimming] cup runs over.

The "table" prepared for me is the sustenance that He provides through the Word and then the anointing of the Holy Spirit. My confession: " You've prepared a table for me right here in the presence of my enemies, and I choose to FEAST at that table spread for me. I eat the Bread of Your Word, the Milk of Your Word, the Meat of Your Word, the Bread of Life, the Bread of Healing, the Fruit of Your Spirit. You have anointed my head with oil of Your Spirit and my brimming cup of Your blessing overflows"! Verse 6:

6Surely or only goodness, mercy, and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, and through the length of my days the house of the Lord [and His presence] shall be my dwelling place.

He CAME that I may have life, in abundance, to the full, till it overflows (John 10:10 AMP)! He leads and guides me moment by moment, day by day. No one can EVER snatch me out of His hand! My confession: "Surely and only, goodness, mercy and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell eternally in Your presence and in Your house - FOREVER"!

Meditate on this Psalm and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you individually about it! You will have your very own confession from it!

Shalom in Him!