Thursday, May 21, 2015

Shalom,

There are two ways to learn the things we need to learn in life. The first, and best, is by wisdom, which is learning from someone else's mistakes. The other is by making your own mistakes, and then learning not to do that again! I personally prefer WISDOM! How about you? As we read through the Old Testament in our Spoken Word Bible Reading Plan, we see how many times the God of the Bible would deliver Israel. They would serve Him out of love and gratitude, FOR AWHILE! Then, they would get lazy and distracted and forget the Lord their God. They would follow after the lifeless idols of other nations and would, inevitably, get into dire situations that only the One, True God could deliver them from! And so the circle would begin again, and repeat and repeat and repeat! Today's reading in 1 Samuel 7 tells of one of those times when Israel returned to the Lord. Verses 3-4:
Then Samuel said to all the house of Israel, If you are returning to the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the foreign gods and the Ashtaroth [female deities] from among you and direct your hearts to the Lord and serve Him only, and He will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines. So the Israelites put away the Baals and the Ashtaroth, and served the Lord only.

In obedience to the prophet Samuel, the Israelites did just that! Then they said this to Samuel in verse 8:

And the Israelites said to Samuel, Do not cease to cry to the Lord our God for us, that He may save us from the hand of the Philistines.

How did the One, True God respond to their need when they put Him first? Look at verses 9-10:
So Samuel took a sucking lamb and offered it as a whole burnt offering to the Lord; and Samuel cried to the Lord for Israel, and the Lord answered him. 10 As Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to attack Israel. But the Lord thundered with a great voice that day against the Philistines and threw them into confusion, and they were defeated before Israel.

Remember now that THEY were Covenant partners with the One, True God, and when THEY did their part, He ALWAYS did His! AMEN! Now let's look at the #1 commandment that WE, who have received Jesus as Lord and personal Savior, and are children of the Most High God, have to obey in order to have the fullness of the Covenant operating in our lives! Mark 12:30:

30 And you shall love the Lord your God out of and with your whole heart and out of and with all your soul (your life) and out of and with all your mind (with your faculty of thought and your moral understanding) and out of and with all your strength. This is the first and principal commandment.

Is HE your #1 priority in life? Do you seek to please HIM before all others? Do you seek HIS presence before the presence of any other person? If we can say yes, then we can fully expect HIS divine protection, provision and safety operating in every area of life! If we cannot say yes to this, then we have just discovered the source of all of our problems and frustrations! Make the necessary adjustments and you will find that everyone and everything else in your life will become SO MUCH BETTER! Here, to help you refocus on HIM, is Hillsong Worship with "Love Like Fire":

I'm desperate for Your touch
A glimpse of heaven through the glory of Your son
In a moment You can turn a life around
Forever to be found in You

And I'm reaching out to find
There's nothing greater than the love that holds my life
Your grace and mercy that have saved me by Your blood
And swept away my shame, oh Lord

Your love is like a fire
That burns for all to see
My only desire
To worship at your feet

So let this fire consume my life
Let Your love take me deeper
Draw me closer to where You are
'Cause all I want is more of You

And I'm surrendered to Your love
Forever humbled by the message of the cross
I stand abandoned in Your presence and embrace
I'll never be the same, oh God

Your love is like a fire
That burns for all to see
My only desire
To worship at your feet

So let this fire consume my life
Let Your love take me deeper
Draw me closer to where You are
'Cause all I want is more of You

When You call I will follow
At the cross I surrender all
Jesus, I belong to You
I belong to You, Lord

Your love is like a fire
That burns for all to see
My only desire
To worship at your feet

Your love is like a fire
That burns for all to see
My only desire
To worship at your feet

So let this fire consume my life
Let Your love take me deeper
Draw me closer to where You are
'Cause all I want is more of You

When You call I will follow
At the cross I surrender all
Jesus, I belong to You

Let Your love take me deeper
Draw me closer to where You are
'Cause all I want is more of You

When You call I will follow
At the cross I surrender all
Jesus, I belong to You

Shalom in Him!