Friday, June 8, 2012

Shalom,


Yesterday we read the prayers of Jesus of Nazareth that He prayed for His disciples, AND for us (John 17:20), before He went to the Garden of Gethsemane. Today we see this in John 18:1-6:

1 When Jesus had spoken these words, He went forth with His disciples over the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into the which He entered, and his disciples.  2 And Judas also, which betrayed Him, knew the place: for Jesus ofttimes resorted thither with His disciples.  3 Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons.  4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon Him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?  5 They answered Him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am He. And Judas also, which betrayed Him, stood with them.  
6 As soon then as He had said unto them, I am He, they went backward, and fell to the ground.  KJV

The Amplified Bible says this:

1 HAVING SAID these things, Jesus went out with His disciples beyond (across) the winter torrent of the Kidron [in the ravine]. There was a garden there, which He and His disciples entered.  2 And Judas, who was betraying Him and delivering Him up, also knew the place, because Jesus had often retired there with His disciples.  3 So Judas, obtaining and taking charge of the band of soldiers and some guards (attendants) of the high priests and Pharisees, came there with lanterns and torches and weapons.  4 Then Jesus, knowing all that was about to befall Him, went out to them and said, Whom are you seeking? [Whom do you want?]  5 They answered Him, Jesus the Nazarene. Jesus said to them, I am He. Judas, who was betraying Him, was also standing with them.  6 When Jesus said to them, I am He, they went backwards (drew back, lurched backward) and fell to the ground. AMP

Do you remember what God told Moses that he should say if people wanted to know the Name of his God? Look at Exodus 3:13-15:

13 And Moses said to God, Behold, when I come to the Israelites and say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you, and they say to me, What is His name? What shall I say to them?  14 And God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM and WHAT I AM, and I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE; and He said, You shall say this to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you!   15 God said also to Moses, This shall you say to the Israelites: The Lord, the God of your fathers, of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, has sent me to you! This is My name forever, and by this name I am to be remembered to all generations.  AMP

Vine's Expository Dictionary says this about "I AM", which is the Hebrew word "hayah":


 Ex 3:14, where God tells Moses His name. He says: "I am [hayah] that I am [hayah]." Since the divine name Jehovah or Yahweh was well-known long before (cf. Gen 4:1), this revelation seems to emphasize that the God who made the covenant was the God who kept the covenant. So Ex 3:14 is more than a simple statement of identity: "I am that I am"; it is a declaration of divine control of all things (cf. Hos 1:9(from Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Copyright © 1985, Thomas Nelson Publishers.)


Do you see? HE IS! That is all that we really need to know! Now in John we see that Jesus had just declared in His prayer (John 17) that He and the Father are ONE and that WE are to be ONE in THEM! Here He uses the Name that Moses was to use: I AM! What happened when Jesus declared His Name to them? They fell to the ground under the power of God! WE have been given that Name to use in every area of our lives in order to bring the benefits of our Covenant into our natural realm. Study the Name of Jesus and all that is promised to those who are "in Him" and those who use His Name! Meditate on these Truths until they become REAL to you, then begin to USE the Name! HE will get all the glory and WE will reap the benefits and blessing here, in this life! Amen! Here is Hillsong  with "For Your Name":




Shalom in Him!