Friday, November 23, 2018

Shalom,

We are on a roll with "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers this week! This is actually a next step after yesterday's devotional. 

The Distraction of Contempt

Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us! For we are exceedingly filled with contempt. —Psalm 123:3

What we must beware of is not damage to our belief in God but damage to our Christian disposition or state of mind. “Take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously” (Malachi 2:16). Our state of mind is powerful in its effects. It can be the enemy that penetrates right into our soul and distracts our mind from God. There are certain attitudes we should never dare to indulge. If we do, we will find they have distracted us from faith in God. Until we get back into a quiet mood before Him, our faith is of no value, and our confidence in the flesh and in human ingenuity is what rules our lives.

Beware of “the cares of this world…” (Mark 4:19). They are the very things that produce the wrong attitudes in our soul. It is incredible what enormous power there is in simple things to distract our attention away from God. Refuse to be swamped by “the cares of this world.”

Another thing that distracts us is our passion for vindication. St. Augustine prayed, “O Lord, deliver me from this lust of always vindicating myself.” Such a need for constant vindication destroys our soul’s faith in God. Don’t say, “I must explain myself,” or, “I must get people to understand.” Our Lord never explained anything— He left the misunderstandings or misconceptions of others to correct themselves.

When we discern that other people are not growing spiritually and allow that discernment to turn to criticism, we block our fellowship with God. God never gives us discernment so that we may criticize, but that we may intercede.

AMEN! It is so very important that we major on the major things that God is calling us to do and let everything else be in HIS hands! It was a little difficult for me at first to stop caring what others thought, if they didn't like what God was telling me to do! But, when I realized that God was NOT going to tell others my business, I had to make the decision that I am going to obey God even if no one else likes or understand. And that is exactly where I am at right now! When it appeared that I was alone in my obedience to God's directions for me, He ALWAYS brought someone alongside to walk with me through it! ALWAYS! Sometimes it didn't happen immediately, but He ALWAYS came through, when MY attitude was right. Refuse to be distracted by the cares of this world, or by the enemy of our souls, or by the judgement and criticism of those who are not sent by God to surround, support and carry out His plans with you. Walk in love and be at peace, personally, with all people, but NEVER let the opinions of others change your decision to obey God! AMEN! Here is Hillsong with "I Surrender":



Shalom in Him!