Sunday, March 10, 2013

Shalom,

I was praying about whether to share from the Spoken Word Bible Reading Plan today or to share something from The Spoken Word Church Worship Service. The decision was made very clear when I read Psalm 69:19-21:

19 Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee. 20 Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. 21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink. KJV

Pastor Bill Novak has been teaching on "The Sayings of Jesus on the Cross". Yesterday he covered when Jesus said "I thirst". John 19:28-30:

28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. KJV

The Psalms many times have dual meanings. They are referring to events that were taking place at the time they were written, and then some are considered Messianic Psalms, which refer to what Jesus said and did as the Saviour! This particular Psalm is a Messianic Psalm! What I learned in the lesson yesterday was what exactly happened with the vinegar offered to Jesus. I won't go into great detail. You will be able to find the teaching on The Spoken Word Church website through the link at the left, if you would like to hear it all. I will share, though, that crucifixion was a very foul and messy situation. There are all types of bodily fluids that are present as a result. The people attending to this would keep them mopped up with vinegar, applied with a sponge at the end of a long stick or handle! Do you see what their final mockery of the One Who was giving His life for them, and us, was? THAT is when Jesus said His final words on the cross: "It is finished"! Thank YOU, Lord Jesus, for all that YOU have done for us! If you have never received Jesus as Lord and personal Saviour, I invite you to pray this prayer now and make sure that, on your behalf, His total and loving sacrifice was not in vain! 

Almighty God, I am a sinner. I believe that Jesus Christ came to this earth, died on the cross for me, was raised from the dead, and is now seated at Your right hand. I accept and receive Jesus Christ as my personal Saviour and I invite Him to come into my heart and become Lord over my life. I thank You now Father, for welcoming me into Your family. You are my Father. I am Your child. Jesus is my Lord! Amen.

Now get into the Word of God and into a good local church where you will be taught, trained, loved and cared for and continue to grow up In HIM! AMEN! Here is a brand new song from Hillsong United called "Relentless":



Shalom in Him!