Thursday, August 30, 2012

Shalom,

I want to share a portion of the Daily Devotional from Jerry Savelle today.

Devotional:
"I am your constant companion. I am your biggest helper or I am your greatest burden. I will push you forward or I will drag you down. I am completely at your command. I am the servant of all great men and I am the servant of all failures as well. I can cause you to succeed or I can bring you to ruin. Who am I? I am your habits." - Author Anonymous



God created you to be a creature of habit. Habits can actually bring great success or great destruction to your life. Successful living is primarily the result of habit, just as drug addiction and alcoholism are the results of habits. We all have habits. We have good habits and we have bad habits.

I want to help you understand and acknowledge the habits that have brought confusion, torment and negative results in your life. As a result of this understanding, you will learn how to develop and maintain good habits that will bring success in all areas of your life.

What is a habit and how is it formed? A habit is defined as the result of the frequent repetition of a certain act; routine; practice; pattern; tendency. Something becomes habitual when it is repeated so often that you don't even have to think about it before you do it. You just do it!

So how can we develop GOOD habits? A very key Scripture in developing good habits is found in Joshua 1:8:


This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success. AMP


Meditating on the Word of God is a GOOD habit! We develop that habit by DOING IT! Spend time everyday reading and studying the Word of God. The best way to do that is to have a Bible reading plan. We offer an excellent, chronological plan on The Spoken Word Church website (link on the left).  Spend time reading this everyday and thinking about what it means to you and your life. Share what you are learning with like-minded believers. Write your thoughts and notes in a journal and keep track of your growth. Bible Study is the very best habit you can develop! Praise and Worship is another powerful habit! Remind yourself everyday of how God has blessed you and your family. Thank Him and praise Him for it! Find Praise and Worship music that ministers to you and that makes you more aware of the presence of God! Use it daily to develop a lifestyle of Praise! Another very valuable habit to develop is the habit of Prayer, especially praying in the Spirit, which is praying spirit to Spirit! Prayer is communication with the One, True, Most High, Living, Almighty God of the Bible! There IS no better person to communicate with on a daily basis! A moment-by-moment basis! Amen! Here to encourage you in developing good habits is an older song from Hillsong called "Everyday"(lyrics below):


What to say, Lord? It's
You who gave me life and I
Can't explain just how
Much You mean to me now
That You have saved me, Lord
I give all that I am to You
That everyday I could
Be a light that shines Your name

Everyday, Lord, I'll
Learn to stand upon Your word
And I pray that I
I might come to know You more
That You would guide me in every single step I take, that
Everyday I can
Be Your light unto the world

Everyday, it's You I live for
Everyday, I'll follow after You
Everyday, I'll walk with You, my Lord

Everyday, Lord, I'll
Learn to stand upon Your word
And I pray that I
I might come to know You more
That You would guide me in every single step I take, that
Everyday I can
Be Your light unto the world

Everyday, it's You I live for
Everyday, I'll follow after You
Everyday, I'll walk with You, my Lord

It's You I live for, everyday
It's You I live for, everyday
It's You I live for, everyday
It's You I live for, everyday

Everyday, it's You I live for
Everyday, I'll follow after You
Everyday, I'll walk with You, my Lord

Everyday, it's You I live for
Everyday, I'll follow after You
Everyday, I'll walk with You, my Lord

Shalom in Him!