Tuesday, June 14, 2011

MONDAY'S POST


Shalom,


I love the study of Proverbs! There is so much plain common sense found there! Proverbs 13:13-16 says this:


13 Whoever despises the word and counsel [of God] brings destruction upon himself, but he who [reverently] fears and respects the commandment [of God] is rewarded. 14 The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, that one may avoid the snares of death. 15 Good understanding wins favor, but the way of the transgressor is hard [like the barren, dry soil or the impassable swamp]. 16 Every prudent man deals with knowledge, but a [self-confident] fool exposes and flaunts his folly.


Now THAT is very simple and straight forward, isn't it? Now let's see if we can get even a little more so. Here are the same verses form the Message Bible:


13 Ignore the Word and suffer; honor God's commands and grow rich. 14 The teaching if the wise is a fountain of life, so, no more drinking from death-tainted wells! 15 Sound thinking makes for gracious living, but liars walk a rough road. 16 A commonsense person lives good sense; fools litter the country with silliness.


Here is another example from verse 20:


20 He who walks [as a companion] with wise men is wise, but he who associates with [self-confident] fools is [a fool himself and] shall smart for it.


The Message Bible:


20 Become wise by walking with the wise; hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces.


Don't you just LOVE the Word of God! YOU SHOULD! Jesus said this in John 6:63:


63 It is the spirit that quickens; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.


That "life" is "zoe", which is life as God has in Himself! The Word of God contains the very life of God! Here is an old Hymn with a never old message: Ancient Words by Michael W. Smith:




Galatians 2 has Paul telling of his confrontation with some of the other leaders in the Church over the works of the Law. Verses 20-21:


20 I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 [Therefore, I do not treat God's gracious gift as something of minor importance and defeat its very purpose]; I  do not set aside and invalidate and frustrate and nullify the grace (unmerited favor) of God. For if justification (righteousness, acquittal from guilt) comes through [observing the ritual of] the Law, then Christ (the Messiah) died groundlessly and to no purpose and in vain. [His death was then wholly superfluous.]


Why did Jesus go through everything that He went through? Because there was NO OTHER WAY for us to be saved!  AND, there is NO OTHER THING necessary to BE saved than to accept and receive Jesus of Nazareth as Lord and personal Saviour! Is there any reason YOU can't do that right now? Then pray THIS prayer right now, believing in your heart that Jesus did all that He did FOR YOU, and it is ENOUGH! AMEN!


Almighty God, I am a sinner. I believe that Jesus Christ came to this earth, died on the cross for me, was raised from the dead, and is now seated at Your right hand. I accept and receive Jesus Christ as my personal Saviour and I invite Him to come into my heart and become Lord over my life. I thank You now Father, for welcoming me into Your family. You are my Father. I am Your child. Jesus is my Lord! Amen.


2 Samuel 13-14 contains the account of Amnon, David's son, raping his own sister. David does nothing! It was actually way too late for David to begin parenting properly at this stage! David may have been a "man after God's own heart", but he was a dreadful parent! It is always important to remember that all of the "heroes" of the Bible were simply human beings like you and me, with faults and flaws and short-comings! Don't follow their example in living EXCEPT where THEY follow CHRIST! (1 Corinthians 11:1)


Shalom in Him!