Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Shalom,

We began to look at Psalm 23 in our last post. Let's look at the next two verses today:

Ps 23:4-5 (KJV)
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

The first word we see is "Yea", which is the Hebrew word, gam, which means: also, even, indeed, moreover. It actually connects this verse with the previous verses. BECAUSE He does all of the things we see in the first three verses, then, also I can have confidence in Him for what we will look at next! Even though "I walk", the Hebrew word, yalak, which means: to go, to walk, to proceed, to cause to go, through the valley of "the shadow of death", the Hebrew word, tsalmaveth, which means: the shade of death, the grave, calamity, distress, extreme danger, "I will fear", the Hebrew word, yare', which means: to fear, to revere, to be afraid, to stand in awe, to make afraid, to terrify, to cause astonishment and awe, NO "evil", the Hebrew word, ra', which means: bad, evil, disagreeable, malignant, giving pain, unhappiness and misery, distress, adversity, calamity. That means I will NOT fear any evil work! How can I say that? The next word says "For", the Hebrew word, kiy, which means: because that, certainly, surely, since, forasmuch as. Thou art "with me", the Hebrew word, 'im, which means: with, toward, beside, accompanying, equally with. "Thy rod", the Hebrew word, shebet, which means: a stick for punishing, ruling, walking, correcting, a club for protecting, a scepter of authority, "and Thy staff", the Hebrew word, mish'enah, which means sustenance and support of any kind. They "comfort me" is the Hebrew word, nacham, which means: to ease, to console, to comfort, it also means to comfort ONESELf! There are many things promised in the Word of God in which WE have a part to play. We must do our part so that our heavenly Father is free to do His part, honor our stand on His Word by confirming His Word with "signs following" (Mark 16:20).

The next verse says that He "preparest", the Hebrew word, 'arak, which means: to set in a row, to arrange, to put in order, to set in place. What does He prepare, or set in place for us? A "table, the Hebrew word, shulchan, which means: a table (as spread out), a meal, used of a King's table. Where is this "King's table"? "Before me", the Hebrew word, paniym, which means: the face, the presence, the person, in the face of, in the presence of, in front of. "In the presence of" the Hebrew word, neged, which means: in front of, in the sight of, in the presence of, "mine enemies", the Hebrew word, tsarer, which means:adversary, enemy, the one who causes distress and shows hostility toward. Right in the face of our enemy, our Heavenly Father will "anoint", the Hebrew word, dashen, which means: to prosper, to make fat (have abundant provision), "my head", the Hebrew word, ro'sh, which means: the head, the top, the upper part, the chief, the total (our entire being!). What will He anoint us with? With "oil, the Hebrew word, shemen, which means: oil, richness, fruitfulness. What will be the result of that anointing? "My cup", the Hebrew word, kowc, which means: to hold together, a container, "runneth over", the Hebrew word, revayah, which means: satisfaction, saturation, wealthy, and comes from a root word meaning to take the fill, satiate, abundantly satisfy. Our Heavenly Father is an abundant provider, a strong protector, a perfect leader. He wants to fill to the full our every need and to give us Godly desires that He can fulfill in our lives! He wants always and ONLY the very best for us! The Amplified Bible says this:

Ps 23:4-5 (Amplified)
4Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me.
5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my [brimming] cup runs over.


Let's continue to meditate on what the Word of God says about Him! When we understand Him better, we will have confidence, expectant hope and eager anticipation for what each day in His presence will bring to us, right here while we're on this earth!

Shalom in Him!