Monday, February 25, 2008

Shalom,

Today we will look at the 23rd Psalm. The whole Psalm is here:

Ps 23:1-6 (KJV)
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

For today we will look at just the first three verses:

Ps 23:1-3 (KJV)
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.


"The LORD" is the Hebrew word, Yehovah, or Jehovah as we say. It means: the eternal, self-existing One. He IS the LORD of Lords and the KING of Kings! Who else is He? We see here that He is "my shepherd" , the Hebrew word, ra'ah, which means: to tend a flock, to pasture (feed) a flock, to rule, to teach. He tends to our every need! He protects us from danger, teaches us how to operate in our Covenant, rules over His Church. What results are there for those sheep who allow the Lord to really BE their Shepherd? "I shall (not) want"! Shall and want are both the Hebrew word, chacer, which means: to lack, to fail, to be without, to decrease, to have a need, to cause to fail. But the important word here is "not", the Hebrew word, lo', which means: no, not, (absolute prohibition), nothing, without. That means that we who trust in the Lord as our shepherd will want for NOTHING! We will be without lack or decrease and we will not fail! Now that is great Good News!

What does the next verse say? "He maketh me to lie down" is the Hebrew word, rabats, which means: to recline, to repose, to lie down, to make rest. He will cause us to rest "in pastures", which is the Hebrew word, na'ah, which means: a home, a habitation, a pleasant place. These pleasant places are "green", which is the Hebrew word, deshe', which means: a sprout, new grass and comes from the word, dasha', which means: to bring forth, to sprout. This is a living, very alive place of new life and new growth! "He leadeth me", the Hebrew word, nahal, which means: to run with a sparkle, to lead with care, to guide, to protect, to sustain, to feed, to cause to rest, to refresh. Where does He lead me? Beside "still", the Hebrew word, menuwchah, which means: a resting place, a comfortable place, a place of quietness. Waters means waters, a place of refreshment, and in Scripture water sometimes refers to the Word of God.

The next verse says that "He restoreth", the Hebrew word, shuwb, which means: to turn back, to bring back, to restore, to refresh, to repair. He repairs "my soul", the Hebrew word, nephesh, which means: a soul self, the mind, emotions and will. He leads me in the paths of "righteousness", the Hebrew word, tsedeq, which means: the right (natural, moral, legal), equity, justification, deliverance, victory and prosperity. For the sake of "His name", which is the Hebrew word, shem, which means: a mark of individuality, by implication honor, authority, character, reputation, fame and glory, it is His purpose to protect, deliver, provide for and prosper us.

The Amplified Bible says this:

Ps 91:1-3 (Amplified)
1THE LORD is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack.
2He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.
3He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake.

The more that we get to know our heavenly Father and our Lord Jesus through the Word of God, the more faith, trust and confidence we will have in His love for us and in His goodness, loving kindness and faithfulness. He is a GOOD God! Always!

Shalom in Him!